As I said in my earlier blog, Hong Kong has an exceptional public transport system.
Read below to know more on how to reach the prime attractions in Hongkong using public transport.
Hongkong primarily consists of four islands Lantau Island(where the Airport is!), Lamma Island, HongKong Island, Kowloon. Most of the Tourists prefer to stay in Hongkong island or Kowloon. Octopus card is a must for using public transportation. The card costs 150 HKD. where 50$ is a refundable deposit and 100 HKD can be used for the local transport as well as shopping in grocery stores like SevenEleven. It is advised to purchase one separate octopus card for every family member.
Airport to Hongkong Island / Kowloon
Take the Airport Express to Central (Fare 100HKD single Journey). From central Complementary Airport Express shuttle bus runs between HongKong / Kowloon stations and Major hotels as well as railway Interchanges. The Service hours are from 06:12 to 23:12 (Every 20 Minutes). For more information about the route, visit www.mtr.com.hk.
There are a lot of buses available to Hongkong Island and TST from Airport.Follow this link for more information www.hongkongairport.com/en/transport/to-from-airport/public-buses.page
To reach the Legend Hostel- Hariliela Mansion, the place we stayed,
A21 is the famous route(Airport to Hung Hom station). Get down at the Cameron road,13th stop from the International Airport. Costs 33HKD one way.
The Hariliela Mansion is just 3 minutes away from the Bus stop. (Walk straight and you will find the Emperor Building and Hariliela mansion is just there).
The Buses are 10 to 20 minutes away and the Journey time is 1 hour.
For returning to Airport, the Bus stop is right at the Mansion’s Ground Floor(Haiphong Road).
TST to Prime Attractions in HongKong using MTR
Route to Reach Victoria peak from TST – TST to Central, Central -> Lower Peak Tram, Lower Peak Tram -> Peak.
TST(Tsim Sha Tsui) MTR – Central MTR , Take the Train from TST Station and get down at Central Station, Only one stop in between.Take the train from Tsuen Wan to Central – Watch for the Red Line in the station.
Central MTR – Lower Peak Tram
Walk from MTR Central Station Exit J2 to take the Peak Tram from the Peak Tram Lower Terminus on Garden Road; or,
Bus 15C from Exchange Square bus
Minibus 1 from the public transport interchange at MTR Hong Kong Station, Exit E.
The Peak Tram will drop you at Victoria Peak.
From TST,the central can also be reached Via Star Ferry,2.7 HKD per ride.
- TST MTR -> Lai King (Red Line) [Towards Tseun Wan]
- Lai King -> Sunny Bay (Yellow Line)[Towards Tung Chung]
- Sunny Bay -> Disney Land(Pink Line)
- TST MTR -> Admiralty (Red Line)[Towards HongKong]
- Admiralty -> Ocean Park(Green Line)[Towards South Horizons](South Horizon line is not mentioned in above Map- Ocean Park is the very next station to Admiralty in South Horizon Line).
Tian Tan Buddha
- TST MTR -> Lai King (Red Line)[Towards Tseun Wan]
- Lai King -> Tung Chung Exit B (Yellow Line)[Towards Tung Chung]
- Ngong Ping cable car – This takes around 25 minutes to reach Tian Tan Buddha. There are two types of cable car Standard and crystal. Crystal cable car contains a glass bottom.
- After reaching Tung Chung Exit B, there is also an option of taking a New Lantao Bus 23 from Tung Chung Town Centre, which takes around 45 minutes.
Where to Get
Octopus cards are available at the MTR customer service center which is located opposite the Airport Exit or at the Airport Express Customer Service Center. This can be recharged at all the MTR stations, as well as at Seven Eleven / Circle K Grocery Store.
How to Use
- MTR: Swipe the card at the entrance barrier and once at the exit barrier (destination station).The fare will be automatically Calculated
- Ferry: Swipe the card at the entrance barrier.
- Bus: Swipe the card when you get on.
- Trams: Swipe the card when you get off.